I have been given the privilege of once again being on the Schoolhouse Review Crew
. I’m so excited to get to help out homeschool companies as well as let all of you know about some great products you may not have otherwise learned about. I’m also going to try to do video reviews of most things so make sure to subscribe here and to my youtube channel
so you don’t miss out. My first review for the crew is of SchoolhouseTeachers.com
. I was given a Yearly Membership
in exchange for my honest thoughts.
SchoolhouseTeachers.com is such a massive and amazing tool that I wanted to find the best way to give you inside look at it without overwhelming you. So I’m taking a clue from my mentor and going to do a top 10 list, in no particular order. Let’s get started!
1. A handy getting started guide (affiliate link) – I love that there is a fabulous getting started page for newbies. To be honest, I’ve been a member for several years and I still find this page helpful. It has descriptions of all the menu items, areas of special note, and frequently asked questions.
2. Quick Links (affiliate link) – This is a new feature and I’m in love. There are so many classes on the site and when you are working on one it can be confusing to get back to them. Once you know what classes you want to take it is easier to just go to this page and click on each lesson you are doing that day.
3. Courses by Grade Level (affiliate link)- This is by far one of my favorite features on the site. There is so much on SchoolhouseTeachers.com (enough to use it and the library alone to educate your children) that it is really handy to just click on the grade level you are looking for. It even has a section for parents and extra resources you get as a member.
4. Super Organized – I just love how organized the site is. You can explore classes by grade level like I talked about above and then when you click on elementary, middle school, or high school it further separates it by topic so you can easily find what you are looking for. You can also search just be topic but I love that I can think of a specific child, click on the age range of that child, and then click on the topic we are wanting to study from. It’s especially helpful with my oldest (6th grader) because I’ll pick the topic and then let him pick the classes or at least explore them with me.
5. Pre-K Activities: Read and Play (affiliate link)- I figured since I had just talked in number 3 about how I like to look through the classes and in number 4 about how organized it is that I’d talk about some of my favorite classes on the site. Pre-K Activities: Read and Play is by far one of my favorites. I love teaching pre-k (I even volunteer to do it at my co-op) and am so sad that this is my last year. Anyway, this class is all about reading a great picture book and then doing activities based on that. It’s very Charlotte Mason style. I love the simplicity of enjoying a story with your child and doing activities to match. It’s also great if you are teaching a co-op class.
6. Hands-On Architecture (affiliate link)- Most kids these days, including my children, love to build things. Whether it’s with Legos, blocks, or on the computer in Minecraft or a similar game, they love to make things. This class gives my kids a look at true architecture with hands on projects. These projects can also easily be adapted for Minecraft or use with Legos making it a lot of fun for your child. This is an elementary and on up class that can easily be made more difficult depending on the student. We used the Gingerbread House lesson this Christmas when making our houses. We didn’t actually do the homemade from scratch gingerbread that the lesson project taught you but it was fun to learn about at Christmas time.
7. Book Recommendations – I’m such a huge language arts nut and I love me some good book recommendations. There are several classes that recommend books in various ways with activities or questions to go along with them. I just love that there are so many great resources for that on the site.
8. Electives (affiliate link) – I love that there are so many high quality electives and many of them are in technology giving skills that will help the next generation get the edge up on jobs. Not only that but there are a bunch of the higher level electives that I am planning on taking myself and I know several other adults on the crew who are doing the same. Particularly I’m looking forward to Photography and Graphic Design both of which I will probably do with my son. I love that we can do these courses together.
9. Media Library (affiliate link)- I love that we get access to Right Now Media Library that has tons of awesome videos as part of our membership. But even better than that there are several courses that utilize these videos and have worksheets and such to go with them. We have been loving the What’s in the Bible series and use the worksheet questions to discuss the video once it is over. My kids are learning so much and this is such a valuable tool.
10. High School Help (affiliate link) – Even though I have no children in high school yet, the thought of having to do transcripts in only a few years is terrifying to me. I stumbled across the fact that many of the classes have academic weighting information so you know how many credits to give for the completion of a course. This is invaluable in my opinion. You also get access to AppleCore which can help you make those transcripts. What a feeling of relief to know this tool will be available for me when this time comes in only a few short years (man they grow up fast).
This only touches the surface of what is available through SchoolhouseTeachers.com (affiliate link). Like I’ve said in the review, you could totally use this site to do all of your educating and that makes it such an amazing deal. With daily grammar, math, ect. all of the subjects are totally covered. I highly recommend this site either has your complete curriculum or an amazing supplement to your homeschool, which is how we use it.
You can subscribe monthly to SchoolhouseTeachers.com (affiliate link) for $12.95 a month!! You can cancel at anytime and that allows you to use the whole site for all your children! New classes are added frequently and you get access to those as well. It’s an amazing deal. You can also do a yearly subscription for $139, which saves you 10%. But even better until the end of January 2016 you can get 50% off of a year subscription by using the coupon code CREWFOLLOWER!!